Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Boring

It's becoming more and more obvious recently that Ian and I are not being invited to certain social events within a particular group. And, other than getting a little butt-hurt over the whole thing, and not having much to contribute to conversations on the off chance that I AM invited to such shindigs, I'm pretty ok with it. I may only be 25 years old, but my partying and bar-hopping days are long gone. Truth be told, I didn't particularly enjoy it even when I could just go out night after night with no familial obligations. I don't like going to crowded places where you have to pay just to get in the door, where drinks cost as much as the cover, and where you have to yell to the person standing right next to you while migraine-inducing bad music streams from speakers placed right next to your ear. This is assuming that you're not still circling the block looking for a parking spot before you ultimately surrender and cough up the $20 to park in a poorly lit lot no less than a mile from the bar which you plan on attending. Maybe it's just me, but that's just not appealing anymore. Even a couple of glasses of wine with dinner now result in a headache and a fistful of Advil in the morning.

And, when all is said and done, who can really afford that? Congratulations if you you can blow that much money weekend after weekend, but I know many of those people also stay at home with their kids, just like I do. (For now. In other news, I GOT A JOB! But that isn't the point of this post.) I have a mortgage, student loans, car payments, bills, bills, bills, a two year old who is growing out of his clothes before I can buy them, and more bills on top of that. 

So yes, I am out of the loop. I'm not cool, I don't like to party. I'm a nerd. I am boring. But when all is said and done, I'd rather sit at home and play trucks with my kid. I'd rather sit on the couch with my husband and laugh. I'd rather make dinner for my family and splash with my son in the tub. 

Thankfully, I have a wonderful, close-knit group of friends who feel the same way. While we do occasionally enjoy an evening out downtown, these nights are usually planned well in advance and executed with the logistical equivalent of a SWAT team. However, these nights are few and far between, and you are much more likely to find us sitting around one of our living rooms with a couple of bottles of wine, good conversation, and many, many laughs. We sometimes get a little crazy and play some Cranium.

No comments: